Mostly about food, this blog is just a place for me to throw things that are of interest to me. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by an look around. This represents just some of the stops on the various pathways that this amateur home cook finds himself.

You may find that these foods tend toward protein and away from carbohydrates - this is due to diabetic issues, so I try to only sparingly use carbs, and good ones at that. Of course, sometimes I forget....

Feel free to drop me a line with any suggestions or just to let me know what you think. Thanks!

If you c


Search This Blog

A Little Navigation...

Yá át ééh!

I want to thank you for the time that you spend here, and hope that you can find useful things here.

Hagoonee'


Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Tex-Mex night at Casa Gordita

It had been a while, and I had a hankering for some good authentic Tex-Mex. I looked around the kitchen and got out the stars of the show: very lean top round roast, pinto beans, white rice, masa harina for the tortillas, and my favorite condiment, pure filtered bacon grease, in the jar).


I didn't take any pictures during the cooking process, there was just too much going on. The pintos were done the quick cook method instead of overnight, as I wasn't worried about them splitting as they were going to get mashed anyway. Anyway, I ended up with some great Carne Guisada, Texican Red Rice, and home-made refried beans and tortillas.

Links to the meat and rice dishes are at the end of the post, and tortillas are easy to explainmake. To make the refried beans, I mash the cooked pintos and mix them with a small dab of bacon grease, maybe 1-2 teaspoons. A little salt and pepper, a little garlic powder to taste, and heat and mash until fairly smooth. A few chunks of bean in there is just fine.

Anyway, here's the result of the work - a little spicy, a lot good!


See recipes at the blog entries Carne Guisada - Tex-Mex authentic and Mexican Red Rice.

2 comments:

cowgirl said...

All of your dishes look soooo goood!! Now I'm hungry!! lol

You need to write a cookbook! :)

Mark said...

Now you know how I feel when I see your creations! They send me running to the freezer and casting long looks at the smokers outside...

As far as the cookbook, I'm there right behind you. I need to expand my varieties of sides, as I seem to be focused on main dishes. It seems a meal isn't a meal unless something on the plate once had a face.