Mostly about food, this blog is just a place for me to throw things that are of interest to me. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by an look around. This represents just some of the stops on the various pathways that this amateur home cook finds himself.

You may find that these foods tend toward protein and away from carbohydrates - this is due to diabetic issues, so I try to only sparingly use carbs, and good ones at that. Of course, sometimes I forget....

Feel free to drop me a line with any suggestions or just to let me know what you think. Thanks!

If you c


Search This Blog

A Little Navigation...

Yá át ééh!

I want to thank you for the time that you spend here, and hope that you can find useful things here.

Hagoonee'


Friday, February 27, 2009

Tostadas Cubaño

Sometimes you just need a quick meal. Hunger provides inspiration. Looking about with a Tex-Mex eye, I saw vegetables and extra large tortilla, refried beans, cheese, and some Cuban ropa vieja from a recent feast. I was set!
First, I got out a couple of 11" flour tortilla and placed them on a sheet pan. They went into the oven at 350 to crisp a bit for a few minutes. Next, the mise en place mentality takes over, and you prepare the vegetables. Here's a shot of lettuce, tomato, onion and chopped cilantro.
Next on is the layer of refried beans. These I kicked up with jalapenos, fresh cracked black pepper and a tad of bacon grease, just for good measure. This was followed by shredded cheese, and back into the oven to melt the cheese.
Once out of the oven, the next layer of flavor was the reserved ropa vieja, which I had slowly heated in a small pan. It will provide texture, great flavor and quite a bit of juiciness. It was layered around the tostada like this:
The lettuce, tomatoes, onions and cilantro were layered on the tostada, and topped with fresh avocado slices. It also got some sprinkles of green jalapeño Tabasco sauce, just for good measure. A large pizza wheel made it manageable, and you now have a very easy, relatively healthy, and extremely tasty quick supper!

No comments: